Welcome to the Educational Network Simulator
This project aims to provide secondary schools with a simulator in which students can practice and understand, among others, the following concepts:
- Basic networking components: hosts (clients and servers), routers and switches
- IP addresses and subnet masks
- Unicasting / Broadcasting
- Concept of protocol
- Basic networking commands: ping, traceroute
- Static / dynamic IP addresses / DHCP
- "Gateway mode" vs "Router mode" in routers
- Servers: DNS, HTTP, DHCP
Is this a realistic network simulator?
Yes and no. If you are looking for a simulator that implements real protocols, real message structures, etc., this is not for you, sorry.
This is a simplification aimed to allow secondary school teachers to explain the basic concepts above. That does not mean that real situations cannot be simulated, but not to a TCP segment or IP datagram granularity.
Also, the implemented protocols are only simplifications with educational purposes (i.e., to know what a protocol is).
If your are still interested in it, have a try!
Don't forget to check the wiki for more information.